- The Spectrum Monitor Index 2014-2018
- Civilian Aero/Military HF Frequency List - Update 18 Aug 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline and Select Military Call Signs
- Russian Aviation HF Long Distance Frequencies
- VHF ACARS / HFDL (aka 'HF ACARS) 23 Oct 2016 Update
- The Sounds of Radio Audio Library (Btown Monitoring Post)
- The Sounds of Global Radio Audio Library (Shortwave Central Blog)
Monday, August 06, 2007
GRE PSR-500 Handheld and PSR-600 Desktop/Mobile Scanners
The PS-500/600 are analog/digital trunking scanners.
● Frequency Coverage
*Excludes by US federal law cellular telephone frequencies: 824-848.9875 and 869-893.9875 MHz.
● Intuitive "Object Oriented" User Interface Design -- Designed for ease of use, yet powerful enough to satisfy the most sophisticated expert. Common data entry, browsing and control methods are used for non-trunked conventional channels, trunking talkgroups, search configurations and Spectrum Sweeper setups. The radio grows with you - start out with a small and easy to manage configuration and expand it as you need to.
● Powerful and Flexible Scan List Functionality -- Allows you to arrange, group and scan objects according to your preference, with no limit to the number or types of objects in a Scan List, and no limit to the number Scan Lists an object can be a member of.
● Menu Driven Programming with Context Sensitive Help -- Each menu item provides a few lines of help text that provide assistance with programming and using the scanner.
● Upgradeable CPU and DSP Firmware -- You can easily keep your scanner current with software enhancements as they become available with free upgrades from GRE America.
● Flexible Free-Form Memory Organization -- Memory is assigned as objects are created using a sophisticated internal file management system. You are not constrained to traditional bank/channel scanner memory layouts. No memory is wasted as a result of bank/channel programming constraints. The scanner has sufficient main memory capacity to store over 1800 conventional channels, trunking talkgroups, search configurations and Spectrum Sweeper objects in any combination. This provides amble capacity for more sophisticated hobbyists and professionals while keeping the database size manageable for beginners.
● GRE's Exclusive V-Scanner Technology -- Allows you to save complete radio configurations within the radio for recall into main memory as needed in the field. This is similar to having a laptop computer and programming software available anytime. You can use V-Scanners to store configurations for different geographic areas or usage styles. Twenty-one V-Scanner folders are provided, each capable of storing over 1800 objects. Total memory capacity of main memory combined with V-Scanners is over 39,600 (1800+37800) objects.
● Multi-System Trunking -- Scan most common trunked system signaling formats, including Motorola, EDACS Standard, EDACS Narrow, LTR and P25 trunked radio networks. These new scanners will not trunk M/A-COM proprietary modes such as Open Sky and ProVoice. Talkgroup call and individual call monitoring are supported. Supports trunking operation in virtually any land mobile band including 700 MHz and the new US DoD 380-390 MHz band.
● P25 NAC Functionality -- Much like CTCSS and DCS with analog signals, a P25 Network Access Code (NAC) is used to provide selective squelch operation on conventional P25 channels. These GRE digital scanners will detect the NAC that is being used on a P25 conventional digital channel, and will allow the user to program NAC codes to block transmissions that do not have a matching NAC, including analog traffic on the same frequency.
● Remote Control Capability -- These scanners can be used with third party application software to remotely control a scanner from a personal computer.
● Exclusive ALERT LED -- Programmable tri-color LED that can be configured to illuminate or flash when certain channels are active. Eight user-defined colors and brightness levels can be specified from thousands of possible combinations. provides visual alerts when certain objects are active, e.g.-blue could be used to signal activity on say a police channel; red on a fire channel, and so on.
● Audible alarms -- Programmable audible alarms can be configured to sound when certain objects are active. Can be used in conjunction with, or separately from, the ALERT LED feature described above.
● GRE's Exclusive Automatic Adaptive Digital Tracking -- When monitoring Motorola and P25 digital systems, instantly adapts the digital decoder to the digital modulation format of the transmission signal, then analyzes the digital signal 50 times each second and adapts to any subtle changes caused by multipath signals or fading. No cumbersome manual adjustments are required.
● GRE's Exclusive Digital AGC -- Instantly compensates for low audio levels that are very common on digital systems. The radio digital comms are easier to listen to.
● Subaudible Squelch Decoder -- CTCSS and DCS subaudible squelch coding are processed by the same DSP chip that is used for P25 digital decoding. Provides fast and reliable decoding of subaudible squelch signaling with squelch tail elimination.
● High Speed PC Interface -- Uses GRE's 30-3290 USB cable in full duplex mode at six times the speed of previous scanner models for PC transfer and eight times the speed of previous models for radio-to-radio cloning.
● Spectrum Sweeper -- Quickly sweeps the scanner frequency ranges for transmissions from nearby transmitters.
● Real-time Signal Strength Indicator -- Shows relative signal strength of received signals.
● Trunking Control Data Output -- Streams decoded trunking control data from your PSR-500/600 to a personal computer for use with popular third party trunking control channel monitoring software. No slicer needed. Also streams NOAA weather radio SAME alert data.
● High Contrast LCD Display -- Provides one row of dedicated icons, and four rows of 16 characters for programming and scanning operation.
● SAME and All Hazards Weather Alerting -- The PSR-500/600 scanners can be operated in the dedicated SAME weather alerting mode, and alert you to severe weather and other hazards in specific area(s) that the user selects, or the scanner can check your local NOAA weather frequency periodically, even while scanning, and alert you when an All Hazards alert occurs.
● SKYWARN Storm Spotter Function -- Provides instant, one button access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks. You can monitor storm conditions as they occur, and may become aware of dangerous weather conditions before the media and emergency management officials are able to announce them to the general public.
● Sleek Compact Case Design -- Has a large speaker for adequate volume in most environments, and is designed for one-handed operation for ease of use.
● Eleven tuning steps.
● Triple conversion scanner.
● Attenuator (20 dB).
● 55 channels per second scan speed and 90 steps per second search speed.
● User defined service and limit searches.
● Key lock for safety (PSR-500 only).
● Backlit LCD and keypad with dimmer.
● LCD contrast control
● Built-in power save function and low battery indicator on the LCD (PSR-500 only).
● Frequency and channel lock-out review.
● BNC antenna connector.
● Earphone jack (3.5 mm stereo).
● PC Interface/Clone jack (3.5mm stereo). Computer cable (GRE USB cable No. 30-3290)
● Memory Backup: No battery backup required. EEPROM used.
● Operating voltage: 6 VDC (4 AA cells)
● External power and charger voltage: 9VDC regulated via external/charger.
● Dimensions: 65(w) x 42(d) x 145(h) mm.
● Acessories: Rubber duck antenna, owners manual, normal battery holder, rechargable battery holder, belt clip, and USB PC interface cable.
● External power jack
● Operating voltage: 13.8 VDC
● Dimensions: 185(w) x 135(d) x 55(h) mm, DIN-E in-dash mountable.
● Acessories: Telescoping antenna, owners manual, mounting bracket, AC adapter, DC cable (with fuse), and USB PC interface cable.
This scanner has not yet been FCC type accepted so no pricing information is currently available.